Monday, October 3, 2011

Vegetable Stir Fry with Brown Rice

This is one of my go-to dishes.  I use whatever vegetables I have in the refrigerator.  



The vegetables we had on this particular night were:

1/2 onion, sliced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 orange bell pepper, sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 zucchini, halved and chopped
1 yellow squash, quartered and chopped
1 cup broccoli
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
Gyoza sauce
sesame seeds

Begin by heating 1-2 T. olive oil in a large pan or wok on medium-high heat.  Once heated, add onion and carrots.  Let blacken a little.  Add remaining vegetables, according to how hard or soft they are.  I add a vegetable, chop the next, and so forth.  This way the harder vegetables can cook longer than the softer ones.  Does that make sense?!  Once all of the vegetables are cooked, I drizzle on some Gyoza sauce from Trader Joe's (Lover Boy is obsessed with this stuff) and heat through.  Then I sprinkle on some sesame seeds.

For my brown rice, I always use short grain.  I buy a large bag at Costco and store it in a large food storage container.  I cook my brown rice in the rice cooker and it turns out perfect every time.  But I use the Hawaiian way to measure water/rice.  I don't know how to explain it unless I show you in person.  So if you really want to know, ask me!!  Oh, and start the rice before you cook anything else.  It usually takes about 30 minutes to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment