Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Best Pesto You'll Ever Taste!

Tonight I am taking dinner over to my good friend Jill.  She just had her 5th boy!  She is amazing and I want to make an amazing meal for her.  I am making my Pesto Cavatappi (with rigatoni instead of cavatappi tonight), Eggplant Parmesan, Garlic Bread, and an Italian Salad.




I am confident that this pesto is the best you'll taste. I use it in pastas, on wraps, and 
slathered on panini sandwiches. It also tastes amazing when you add a little cream to it.  
Sometimes I double the batch and freeze some for later. Please enjoy this...
it is like green gold. 


3 T. pine nuts (I store my Costco bag of pine nuts in the freezer)
2 c. fresh basil (I used the remaining basil from last week's pizza)
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. Romano cheese  (I store remaining Romano in the freezer)
2 cloves of garlic
2 T. butter
2/3 c. olive oil
1/2 t. salt
dash of pepper

Toast the pine nuts in a small skillet.  Wash and drain basil, remove stems.  Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Or, if freezing, drizzle olive oil on top to prevent browning and store in freezer for up to 3 months.



(image from Noodles and Company)

Pesto Cavatappi

1 lb. cavatappi pasta, cooked according to package (or any other kind of pasta)
1 batch pesto recipe (you can add a little cream if you like)
2-3 Roma tomatoes, cut into large chunks
sauteed mushrooms (optional)

After you drain the pasta, return to the pot and add remaining ingredients; heat until the cheeses from the pesto are melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment